Position Description & Candidate Requirements
Position: PV Engineer
Reports to: VP, Technology Strategy
Location: Toronto, ON
Status: Full time, permanent
Start Date: Immediately
Summary of Position:
SkyPower is seeking a PV Engineer to conduct PV system analysis and preliminary design review for SkyPower’s portfolio of global projects. The ideal candidate will have excellent technical skills and a strong background in the renewable energy market. This role will be based in Toronto, ON and is an exciting opportunity to work with a dynamic and rapidly growing company.
Key Functions & Responsibilities:
- Prepare and manage site constraints maps, site layouts and performance and energy predictions
- Manage the preparation of site surveys and topographical maps, storm water hydrology studies, geotechnical investigations and related site evaluations
- Develop the preliminary design of PV power plants and plant substations
- Prepare engineering and construction inputs for environmental permit applications and review proposed permit conditions
- Prepare definition of EPC scope of work and technical specifications for PV power plants and interconnection facilities
- Review and evaluate all technical aspects of EPC proposals and assist in negotiating EPC contracts
- Review technical submittals from EPC contractors and assist the field project team in managing the EPC contractor’s construction
- Supervise engineering activities by consultants and independent engineers to ensure scope, schedule, quality and coordination requirements are met
Required Skills and Experience:
- Strong communication skills to relay information, prepare reports and provide guidance on PV system design needs
- Able to work as part of a team to provide guidance to senior management for PV design, EPC and Operations & Maintenance (O&M) needs of the company
- Knowledge of Design Codes & Standards and other governing standards for design of solar PV systems
- Solid knowledge of PV system energy modeling tools, specifically PVSyst
- Excellent computer skills and fluency in AUTOCAD
- Knowledge of power distribution and transmission systems design
- Knowledge of PV module support structure design, module array layout, DC and AC solar design
- Experience creating solar specific SLDs (DC, AC and interconnection) and solar PV ground mount site layouts using AUTOCAD
- Field experience in installation, startup and commissioning of utility-scale solar PV ground mount plants
- Familiar with the review and design of instrumentation for data acquisition systems, SCADA design would be an asset
- Engineering degree or equivalent discipline
- 4+ years of relevant experience or experience working in the solar PV industry
SkyPower prides itself on a highly competitive compensation package, commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates can submit their resume with a cover letter via email, citing “PV Engineer” in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The successful candidate will gain exposure to many areas of the organization and the opportunity to grow within a dynamic and agile company. We thank all applicants for their submissions, but please note that we will contact only those most qualified for this opportunity.